To the best of our knowledge, all content is accurate as of the date posted, though offers contained herein may no longer be available. The opinions expressed are the author’s alone and have not been provided, approved, or otherwise endorsed by our partners. You may have never cleaned out your dryer vent before but there are many reasons why you should.
Get expert advice on your home, design tips, how much to pay for pros and hiring experts, delivered to you daily. Replacing your carpet means tossing out all of the old floor covering. Save several scraps of carpet, whatever kind, for use on the top of sawhorses, as a creeper mat for working on the car, to pad your knees while fixing your plumbing or use as drop cloths.
- Even if your neighbor’s house has a high level of radon, that doesn’t mean yours does.
- However, adding a skylight isn’t as easy as chopping a square into your roof.
- “Deck construction is up 275%,” Anderson says, quoting increases from March to July of this year.
- “In other words, if you’re contemplating a kitchen remodel but your roof is leaking like a sieve, you need to address the roof issues first before indulging in any updates,” says Matke.
- Those personal flourishes are key in establishing a character’s personality.
- Check out your home’s basement, and where there are I-beams or wooden support beams in the ceiling, that’s where the home’s weight rests and you can’t remove walls above it.
And, they’re free with the purchase of a new carpet. The rain gutters on your house are more than just convenient. They’re essential for keeping your home’s foundation free from excess water stress. Your foundation already has a big job to do holding up the house. The quantity of water in a small rainfall event is surprisingly massive. Aluminum foil is one of those everyday kitchen items that we don’t really give much thought to, but it can be used for a lot more than wrapping leftovers.
Maximum Value Mechanical Projects: HVAC
The most effective system is a vent pipe placed in the sump pit or a hole made under your concrete floor slab. The vent runs up through the house and out the roof, or out the side of the house and up to the eaves. A special in-line fan for radon is placed in the attic or outside the house to suck air through the vent.
Install recessed and track lighting
To create a curvy top edge, use your mirror to inspire the outline of your design. Tape the pattern on the decorative paper applied to the wall; use a crafts knife to cut around the template and peel away the paper above the cut. Inject elegance into your daily life with a faucet that ups the ante in looks and quality. Just make sure the configuration matches your existing sink, or you might end up replacing that, too. If you’re planning on buying a new sink, it’s easiest to install a faucet and other hardware on a new sink before the sink is put in place.
“A lot more people are focusing on their family, their homes, you know, the stuff in our immediate vicinity. People’s bubbles have shrunk.” He started building a fence but put the project on hold when he found it impossible to source new fence posts. Stacked neatly in his backyard is a minivan-size pile of gray lumber, all stuff Buhr salvaged from dumpsters and a fence demolition project. “Demand for outdoor living products is surging,” says Nancy Musselwhite, a building materials industry analyst for Principia Consulting.